BikerChicKnits
Not your typical hellcat biker chic and
Li'l Deb would say "that's not a bad thing!"


July 18, 2007

Cotton Classic+$32 = A Burning Flame


Inspiration for my Fair Isle knitting project came from my fondness for flames and years of motorcycle swap meets and bike events where attitude and style was as much in the bike as the biker. Bikes flaunting bright, flashy airbrushed flames has always grabbed my attention. 

The one constant thought for my blog was that my banner had to be flames. Searching through my personal collection of graphs, decals, patches, photographs and sketches I created my banner flame chart, but then a friend showed me a small photograph of a vintage motorcycle tank depicting flames that he found (free) on the internet.  The flames were small and had been generated into a chart (unfortunately he didn't have any info and nothing popped up in my search).

Using this photo-chart as further inspiration I made my flames smaller in my banner chart and reduced my colors from 7 to 5. I was ready to buy yarn.  I used Tahki Stacy Cotton Classic for one long  "flaming" guitar strap so that was the obvious choice for yarn. The colorways are vibrant and 100% Mercerized Cotton, Gauge 6/5 sts @ 108 yds.

The Elegant Ewe in Concord NH had exactly what I needed in colors and the mercerized cotton had the hint of sheen I was looking for. The one staff member on duty that morning was kind, patient and helpful.

In the Saddle Bag: 5 Skeins of TSC Cotton Classic and a pair of very cool hand made black leather bag handles.

*Fair Isle knitting: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Isle_%28technique%29

No comments: