BikerChicKnits
Not your typical hellcat biker chic and
Li'l Deb would say "that's not a bad thing!"


October 10, 2007

Autumn + Motorcyle Riding = Cashmere


Autumn is probably one of the best seasons for motorcycle riding in New England. The mountains and valleys burst-in-your-face with breath-taking foliage that is 100% pure Mother Nature magic and better then a "Kodak Moment."

The open air freedom of motorcycle riding is thrilling and I always wear protective gear to reduce exposure to the elements, road debris, UFOs and insects. It is amazing how much a big bug in the forehead hurts! Discomfort could actually cause the unmentionable so I do not move until I am satisfied with my gear. Any delay is minimal and will only enchance the ride - so I just give the road captain a big grin when the pack starts to gr-rumble.

The saddle bag always includes "protective gear" for my long hair. Knots and tangles from wind damage are not pretty and always require a trip to the salon. Imagine trying to detangle a skein of Rowan's Kidsilk Haze that was -tragically- tumbled in the dryer.

My stylist (influenced by Jose Eber who announced many years ago on national television that shoulder length hair was the the longest acceptable length for women over a certain age), lectured me passionately on hair breakage from wind, sun and cheap ponytail holders... until I humbly left his salon with a sensitive scalp, sleek but slightly shorter hair and $90 less in the fanny pack.

During warm weather months French braids, bandanas and my Native American leather ties minimize damage and keep my hair out of my eyes. When temps drop warm headwear is essential. Helmets keep your head dry but I've never met a helmet that kept my hair away from my eyes, minimized wind damage or kept my forehead, neck and ears warm.

With no time to knit up a nice light weight and custom cashmere hat imagine my delight when while browsing at Helium (an exceptional shoe store in Hanover, NH), I was shown this in all its cashmere cuteness:



"Beehive"

The tag reads Another "one-of-a-kind 'e ko logic original" Handmade in Troy, NY from recycled garments containing 90 - 100% cashmere.

A very chic hat for cool weather motorcycle riding and geniusly designed. Traditional cool weather hats never provide room at the crown for my long hair and this hat is open at the top! It protects my hair from wind and keeps me warm. Bad hair problems solved!

I can wear my hair up in "Beehive" fashion (when riding) and let my hair down through the top (at the rally).

Clip On

Clip Off


This hat is soft, comfortable, stylish and warm! I love knitting with cashmere but this handmade one-of-a-kind hat by Ekologic is instant gratification.

Thank you Helium!

If you tour the open roads of New Hampshire's White Mountains and Vermont's Green Mountains keep in mind that temperatures can change from warm-fuzzy to frrfrigid as quickly as you round a turn. Dress in layers, and the layer next to your skin should have moisture wicking properties to keep you warm and dry! Look out for moose, bear, wet leaves, apples and loose gravel too.

P.S. I did the math and unless men are excluded, I'm thinking Jose is of that certain age where long hair is not acceptable ...

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey, from one long-haired biker chic to another: doesn't a hair clip hurt your head under a helmet? I usually have to put my hair in a "hair log" using multiple elastic ponytail bands, then tuck it into my jacket.

Beware turning on slippery leaves!

VTwin said...

"Wet Leaves" - I had a heck of a scare in Vermont one night leaving a bar called "The Chopping Block". With my twin, long ago, wet leaves, down grade, sharp curve - driving a little too fast...no mishaps, but never forgot the scare and that was on 4 wheels! It's raining -now- and leaves are falling all over the place.

When I wear a helmet I usually do french braids with tiny bobby pins, rarely use elastics. Oh yeah! The hair clip in the photo would be impossible to wear with a helmet. Nice to hear from you.

silverfox said...

Hey! Love your site!! Love the shoes!! Love the flames, the tid bits of your life, your way with words, the photos and would love to see updated photos of that precious baby girl! So.....you're a twin!
Spring is on the way soooooooo dust off that helmet, put up your hair and get ready to ride........

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the free flames graph!! It's really cool :)
Now if I can only remember how to knit!!